Related Information Contact Information
901 Leopard Street, Room 301
Corpus Christi, TX 78401

Phone 1: 361.888.0111

Email: Tax Assessor
Tax Office Hours
Monday08:00 am - 05:00 pm
Tuesday08:00 am - 05:00 pm
Wednesday08:00 am - 05:00 pm
Thursday08:00 am - 05:00 pm
Friday08:00 am - 05:00 pm
Motor Vehicle Operations
Monday08:00 am - 04:00 pm
Tuesday08:00 am - 04:00 pm
Wednesday08:00 am - 04:00 pm
Thursday08:00 am - 04:00 pm
Friday08:00 am - 04:00 pm
Satellite Offices
Monday08:00 am - 04:00 pm
Tuesday08:00 am - 04:00 pm
Wednesday08:00 am - 04:00 pm
Thursday08:00 am - 04:00 pm
Friday08:00 am - 04:00 pm
Other Information Download Acrobat Reader
Click to download Acrobat Reader
  1. Where can I pay my property taxes?
    You may pay property taxes at any of our (4) locations, or you may mail your payment to:
    Tax Assessor-Collector
    P. O. Box 2810
    Corpus Christi, Texas 78403

    Please make your check payable to Nueces County Tax Assessor-Collector, and if possible, enclose the copy of your tax statement with your payment. If you have any questions concerning property taxes and wish to call this office, our telephone number is (361) 888-0230.

  2. Can the delinquent tax attorneys sell my property for unpaid taxes?
    It is possible that property can be sold for delinquent taxes. A lawsuit for tax lien foreclosure can be filed and a judgment subsequently granted by the court. The attorneys, with the approval of the Nueces County Tax Office, can then proceed with tax sale procedures.

  3. Can I pay my current taxes instead of my delinquent taxes?
    Yes. Please be sure to indicate on your check that the money is to be applied to your current year taxes.

  4. What is the procedure for purchasing abandoned property?
    Property can be bought for delinquent taxes only after a lawsuit for tax lien foreclosure has been filed, and later a judgment has been granted by the court to sell the property. You will need to contact the law firm that administers delinquent tax sales on behalf of Nueces County. The law firm for Nueces County is Linebarger Goggan Blair & Sampson, L.L.P. Their telephone number is (361) 888-6898.

  5. Can I make monthly payments on my delinquent taxes?
    Yes, but to avoid a lawsuit for tax lien foreclosures, a written payment contract will have to be made with the Nueces County Tax Office.

  6. I paid off my house and my mortgage company will not be paying my taxes this year. How do I make sure that I receive my tax statement? When are the statements mailed out and when are taxes due?
    As long as a statement is not requested by a mortgage company, it is automatically mailed to the homeowner. The statements are mailed out by October of each year. If you have not received your statement by mid-December, it is your responsibility to notify us so that we can send out another statement. Taxes are due upon receipt, and should be paid no later than January 31st of the year following the year the tax statements are mailed.

  7. Why do I have to pay penalty and interest when I never received a bill?
    As a property owner, it is your responsibility to make sure that you receive a bill and that it is paid on time. The statements are mailed and the taxes are due at the same time each year. If you have not received a bill by the middle of December, you should call and request that another one be mailed to you. You are also able to call and get an amount due over the phone as early as October or look up your account on the website. It is not necessary to have a statement to make payment as long as you have your account number and know the correct amount. You can either mail or take your payment to any Nueces County Tax office location.

  8. I received a bill for personal property taxes, but I do not own any real estate; I just lease it for my business. Why am I receiving a bill on property I do not own? Should the property owner be paying this?
    All businesses are taxed on their personal property, such as furniture, fixtures, machinery, equipment, inventory and vehicles. Most likely, the bill that you received is for your business personal property and not for the real estate itself. The real estate is taxed separately and the tax statement sent to the property owner.

  9. How is my property value determined?
    The Nueces County Appraisal District (NCAD) identifies property to be taxed, determines its appraised value, whether to grant exemptions, the taxable owner and address, and which taxing jurisdictions may tax the property. For information on VALUES, to file for an EXEMPTION, or to report changes in OWNERSHIP or ADDRESS, please call the Appraisal District (361) 881-9978. The Appraisal District office is located at 201 N. Chaparral, Corpus Christi, Texas 78401. Nueces County Appraisal District information can also be accessed through their website, the address is

  10. What are some exemptions? How do I apply?
    Exemptions reduce the taxable value of your property; however, the amount of exemption varies for each taxing jurisdiction. This lowers your tax amount. Some of these exemptions are:
    • Residence Homestead available for all home owners on their residence as long as they lived there on January 1st of the tax year.
    • Disabled Homestead can be taken in addition to the homestead exemption; available to those who qualify according to specific guidelines.
    • Disabled veteran or survivor can be taken in addition to the homestead exemption, according to a disability rating. This exemption can the taken on any property in Texas;it is not limited to the homestead property.
    • Age 65 or Older can be taken in addition to homestead exemption on residence. Homeowners over the age of 65 may also arrange for a Tax affidavit Deferral. You may choose to defer the collection of delinquent taxes if you own and occupy your residence; however, a tax lien remains on the property and interest of 8% a year continues to accrue.

  11. This is not my property. What shall I do with this statement?
    If you know the name of the owner, please return the statement to this office with the name of the owner. If you do not know the name of the owner, return the statement with that notation.

  12. The name and address on this statement are incorrect. How can I get it changed?
    A request to change an address or owner's name must be submitted to the Nueces County Appraisal District according to Texas State Property Tax Code sec. 25.25. Contact the Nueces County Appraisal District by phone at 361.881.9978 or by email at

  13. What is a tax account number and what do you mean by a "legal description"?
    The tax account number is assigned by the Nueces County Appraisal District and is used to help identify each piece of property. Normally, only one account number is assigned to each parcel. The legal description describes the property as a parcel in a larger tract (e.g., Lot 1, Block 2 in Meadow Subdivision), so it can be located on a map. If the legal description is wrong on your statement, this error should be directed to the Nueces County Appraisal District for proper handling.

  14. I sold part of my acreage. How can I pay my taxes on what I actually own?
    This will require what is referred to as a “split-out,” which is performed by the Nueces County Appraisal District.

  15. I received my tax statement and it does not show my exemption. What should I do?
    Perhaps you have not filed the proper affidavit with the appraisal district. You are entitled to a homestead exemption if you own your home on January 1 and it is your primary residence. You can claim only one homestead exemption as of January 1. In order to receive a homestead exemption, an affidavit must be filed with the Nueces County Appraisal District. All exemptions, such as homestead, over 65, disabled persons, and disabled veterans require execution of an affidavit with the Nueces County Appraisal District. If you so request, we will send the necessary form to you, or you can obtain them directly from NCAD by calling (361) 881-9978.

  16. I own several adjoining lots and the homestead was assigned to the wrong lot. How do I get it corrected?
    The Nueces County Appraisal District will have to make the correction. You will receive a corrected statement after NCAD certifies the correction to the Nueces County Tax Office. The correction process may take several weeks, so do not wait to pay your tax bill!

  17. I received a homestead exemption for the current year, but I sold the property. How can I correct this matter?
    The exemption goes by its status as of January 1st of each year. If you purchased a new home you need to file for a homestead exemption on your new homestead property with the Nueces County Appraisal District for the next January 1. You may obtain an application for a homestead exemption directly from NCAD by calling (361) 881-9978.

  18. Why are my taxes higher this year than in previous years?
    Check your exemptions. If you were not granted the exemption allowed, contact NCAD. The appraised value may be greater than in the previous year. If so, you will receive an explanation from the Nueces County Appraisal District for the increase. Also, the tax rate may have increased and if so, the amount of your tax could be more than the previous year. The breakdown of the tax rates of the various jurisdictions are shown on your tax statement.

  19. What kind of payment options are available?
    4-PAYMENT OPTION: (This option applies only to property the person occupies as a residence homestead and only to those persons who are considered disabled/or over 65 years of age); If, before January 1st of the current tax year, you are disabled or 65 years of age and are QUALIFIED for the OVER 65 or DISABLED HOMESTEAD EXEMPTIONS, you may make your payments in four equal installments without incurring penalty and interest, if paid in the following manner:
    • 1st payment due before January 31
    • 2nd payment due before April 1
    • 3rd payment due before June 1
    • 4th payment due before August 3

  20. The Nueces County Appraisal District reduced my value. When will I receive another statement?
    You will receive a new tax bill after this office receives the adjusted taxable value from NCAD.

  21. How can I protest my appraised value?
    All protests must be directed to the Nueces County Appraisal District. This office can send a protest form to you, or you may obtain the form directly from NCAD by calling (361) 881–9978. The deadline for filing written protests is usually May 31 of the year for which the value is applied.

  22. We are over 65 and pay no taxes. We received a statement showing a fire district tax. Why?
    Emergency Service Districts were created by the state legislature and approved by the voters of the various districts. They have the legal authority to set a tax rate and may not allow exemptions. These exemptions are not mandatory, and they do not have to grant them. If no exemption is allowed, you are liable for the tax. There is a maximum allowable exemption, and if the value is higher than the ceiling, the value above the ceiling is taxable.

  23. The mortgage company paid my current taxes. I failed to claim the homestead. How do I get a refund?
    First apply to NCAD for the exemption. You may obtain the form directly from NCAD by calling (361) 881-9978. The refund will be issued automatically to the mortgage company. You may ask that the refund be issued directly to you. You must apply for the refund.

  24. Can a refund be mailed directly to me?
    If the refund is due to the granting of an exemption (i.e. homestead or disabled veteran), the refund check will be mailed directly to the name and address on the tax roll, if there is no name change on the account.

  25. What is a tax certificate, and how can I obtain one?
    A tax certificate is a document showing the current status of taxes on a specific property; if delinquent, the certificate shows penalties and interest that are due according to tax records. The fee to obtain a certificate is $10.00 per certificate; prepayment is required.

  26. Can you send me a statement on my taxes for part of the year?
    The Nueces County Tax Office does not prorate taxes.

  27. Why am I getting a delinquent tax bill on a parcel I just purchased?
    The tax laws require this office to mail delinquent tax bills to the current owner of real estate, rather than to the previous owner. Because a tax lien exists against that parcel, it is in the current owner’s best interest to have knowledge of that lien. If a lawsuit were filed to foreclose the lien, the current owner (not the previous owner) risks losing the property to foreclosure.